There may be cases when you need to transfer large amounts of data, but doing so can be a difficult task, unless you use the right tools and services. In this article, we’ll talk about the best way to send large files over the internet and the services that will allow you to complete the process. One thing to note is that while email accounts often offer the possibility of sending large files, they may not be the most practical solution. After all, imagine if you send an important file and the person you email to doesn’t check their email for a long time? Large file attachments could make their email inbox to become full, which will prevent them from receiving further emails. It would be a waste of time and a hassle. In addition, some of the most popular email services such as Gmail, Yahoo and outlook, don’t allow you to send files over 25MB. This is why it is necessary to get a powerful solution that makes things simple and effective when it comes to sending large files. We’ll go through a list of the methods and tools that will allow you to send large files online without hassle.
Large file transfer options that you can consider
Choosing the best way to send large files could be confusing, since there are many options available. We’ll check the different techniques available that you can consider and will also let you know the cases in which they work better.
FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and this technology is still being used and it would be the most convenient option, if you don’t want to have to compress large files before transferring them. You can try FTP clients such as Cyberduck or FileZilla. However, it is important to keep in mind that with FTP tools, the transfer process can take quite a while and it is not exactly easy. This is why the popularity of this method decreased as the cloud was introduced.
Cloud Storage Services
The cloud has revolutionized the way in which we manage and share data. In addition, it has facilitated the transfer of large files. There are many file sharing options available, including websites, apps, software clients and all of these options store files on their servers. The main difference between them is that some of them only allow you to store files temporarily, while others provide long-terms storage.
Temporary Storage File Transfer Services
These are mainly third-party file transfer websites or applications that are not lined to a specific email service. Bu default, they let you store data online for a limited amount of time, in most cases, only a couple of weeks with a free plan. After that time, the data is automatically deleted. Apart from the time restrictions, if you use a free service, you probably will also have to deal with file size limits. These limits can be increased if you opt for a paid plan, so you can enjoy long-term storage without size restrictions. Some of the services that you can consider include Sendspace, WeTransfer and DropSend. These solutions are specifically designed for sending large files and don’t support additional features such as syncing or the option to edit files. If you.
Long-Term Storage File Transfer Services
If you are looking for a fully-featured cloud storage services, you can consider the below options:
Dropbox – Dropbox gives you 2GB of free storage and it is compatible with a variety of mail services.
Google Drive – This service gives you up to 15GB of free storage and it is designed to work with Gmail only.
The above solutions will allow you to transfer large files and they can also
store files for an extended period of time. They support online file editing and automatic syncing.
What are the requirements to send large files?
One thing to keep in mind before you can use these file sharing tools, is that you will need to compress your files first to speed up the transfer process. To compress large files, you can use the built-in file compression utilities on Mac or Windows. If you need to compress a video or music file, it is advisable to use RAR, rather than ZIP. This is because RAR files are not prone to data loss or corruption during the compression process.
How to use different file transfer tools
Temporary Storage File Transfer Services
- Go to the service’s website
- Read the terms and conditions carefully and if everything is ok, click on I agree.
- Click on Add files to select a file. It is possible to drag and drop the chosen files and you can also add more than one file.
- Enter your email address and the email address of the recipient. There are services like WeTransfer that allow you to add up to 20 recipients simultaneously.
- In the optional “Message” field, write a text for the recipient.
- Choose how you want to transfer the file, via download link or via email. Click on the share type button (it has three dots) that is located to the left of the Transfer button. If you select the “link” option, you will see a message letting you know that the file will be stored online for seven days.
After that, you just need to click “Transfer” to share the file selected. If you are using WeTransfer, you won’t need to create an account. Their free service allows you to send large files to recipients using WeTransfer’s free service right away. If you want additional functionality, you can opt for WeTransferPlus, the paid plan. For this plan, you will need to set up an account, but you will be able to enjoy more features including increased file size limit, long-term storage and password protection. In order to send the file, you just need to compose the email, entering your email address and the email address of the person you want to send the email to. Then upload the file to the cloud and send the file link. Then the receiver will click to view or download the file.
How to Use Long-Term Storage File Transfer Services
- Log into your account. If you are using Google Drive, go to the Google Drive section
- Click on the NEW button to upload any large file (25MB or above). When the file is uploaded to your Google Drive account, right-click on it and select the sharing option that you need.
- The person you sent the email to will receive a link prompting them to view or download the file sent.
- Keep in mind, Google Drive is only compatible with Gmail so if you prefer a different email service, it is advisable to choose another cloud storage solution to send data. The same steps previously described should work with services like Dropbox.
When choosing a cloud storage service, it is important to consider an option that lets you transfer files quickly and securely. You also need to make sure that the features that you need are supported. Password protection and encryption during transit are some of the features to look for if you want to make sure that your data is protected.